Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Why I Do What I Do

OK, so today THQ, or at least part of its assets, were sold. The remainder it seems will remain a part of their ongoing Chapter 11 case. Yet again a pang of pain hit me deep in my creative heart for an industry that has been bled to the brink over the past few years with no end in sight. It got me thinking about how badly I wanted to be in the creative sector, firstly by choice in games, or secondly as a writer. It's not easy deciding to go for a career that most people deem unviable, and often causes many sleepless nights when pondering the reasons why we should do what we do.

The question crept into my mind again as I read the article, and realized that a plethora of ultra talented creative people were not going to have jobs yet again, why would I want to try to make a career out of something as unstable as games or writing? It threatened to steal away my creative drive for the day.

Enough was enough, I had to remind myself that there is nothing else I would rather do. I started reminding myself of the joyous feeling I had when I got my first job in the industry, and the extensive happiness that has followed since. Working on my writing career currently has kept me sane in an otherwise terrible situation of unemployment, and has given me hope that in fact, I CAN accomplish my goals and dreams.

The lesson through this today is:
Remind yourself why you do what you do. Remind yourself to dream, and shrug of the bad stuff that happens. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way. There's no end to what the creative mind can achieve once it has been let free. Sure there are a lot of questions about where to go next, or what to do next, but the simple fact remains, your mind is your own and nobody can take that away. Build on your dreams until they become a reality. For me, there is no other option. I have to create. I can't survive doing anything other than something creative. I would go insane.

I truly wish all of those affected by the sale/closure of THQ as a company all the best in their future endeavors, and I hope that those that are out of work will land on their feet and chase their dreams into tomorrow and beyond.

All the best stuff is yet ahead of us as a creative collective, I truly believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment