Monday, April 16, 2012

Memorable Enterances

Game Career Guide is running another Story Design Challenge, and this time they are focused on Memorable Entrances. Click through and have a read to see what it's all about:

http://gamecareerguide.com/features/1062/story_design_challenge_best_.php

This got me thinking about what game entrances have stuck with me over the years, and how they impacted my experience. I'd have to say that one of the most memorable entrances for me was in Secret of Mana. If you've never seen it before, or it's just been a while and you need a refresher, watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnsJI4rmoVE

The reason I like this entrance into the game, is it gives a clear synopsis of the world, and lightly touches on what has happened leading up to the start of the main character's adventure. I leaves a good amount to the imagination as well, which is good, as it avoids inundating the user with more info than is necessary. The audio for the entrance was fantastic as well, and really grabbed my attention, drawing me into the game. I think this is key in helping user focus in on the experience right from the start. It's so important to have the right audio for every part of the game.

Hot on its heels would be the entrance to Chrono Trigger.

What was your most memorable entrance?

1 comment:

  1. I think my favorite entrance in recent memory was not an intro to a game, but rather the Normandy Reborn in Mass Effect 2.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzv5k6p0Swo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    At that point in the game I was on shakey ground. I was dealing with different combat mechanics, trying to identify with Shepherd again after so long, and feeling mistrustful of Miranda and the Illusive Man. Then the music builds up and I was seeing old friends and the closest thing to "Home" again. I seriously got goosebumps at that part :)

    ReplyDelete