Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013 and Book Publishing

Alright, so 2013 is here, and things have been crazy. My contract ended with Electronic Arts at the end of October, and I have had but a handful of bites on new leads within the Games Industry. It's OK  No reason to panic just yet. I have coverage, and companies are starting to ramp up now that we are past the holidays, and I have been focusing heavily on finishing the rough draft of my first book to submit to DAW Fantasy.

The goal of 80,000 minimum words has been set, and eight chapters have been completed. The ninth is ready to go, and we are just entering the second week of the year. I'm aiming to have the draft ready to go by February. The reason I've chosen to start with DAW Fantasy, at least to fully investigate them, is that they do not require a literary agent for submissions, and are actively looking for authors.

I am greatly excited at the prospect of being able to work from home, doing something that I love, and most of all, something creative. That was the main reason I first chose the video games industry. With the turbulence around that industry right now, futures are uncertain to say the least. I think we've only begun to see the changes in that medium, and expect that 2013 will bring many more upheavals, twists and turns.

With the advent of Crowd Funding, Self Publishing, and all of the fanciful technology available to everyone these days, I think we are going to be seeing a lot more individual and small team creative movements in all of the creative fields. And I welcome it excitedly.

All the best this new year to you and yours,
Rob Ling

No comments:

Post a Comment